Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Since we're in a rankings mood

As a college student going on 7 years, I have spent a damn lot of time in coffee shops in and around Lincoln, NE. As more and more keep popping-up, I figured that it may be time to compile my personal rankings.

Keep in mind, any place without free wireless internet not only can go straight to hell but also shoots way down the list.

25,000. Starbucks-Wow, you really have to be off your rocker to even step foot in that hole. Not only do I despise the corporate feel of this place, but the coffee taste like pure crap. Mix-in the lack of free wireless internet (yes they charge for something that costs them $40.00/month), uncomfortable seating, small tables, and over-the-top employees and you have one shitty, shitty coffee shop.

9. Barnes & Noble-See Starbucks, above. Only marginally better because of the proximity to lots of books.

8. Cresent Moon-Come on, C-Moon, mix-in some wireless internet. Also, this place is tiny. Overall, not very good at all.

7. Scooter's-This is a brand new place at the corner of 11th & "O." On the negative side, it's got a bit of the corporate feel to it as it is a chain, albeight only in Omaha, Lincoln, and Council-tucky. On the positive side, however, they really do have excellent coffee. Free wireless internet as well is a definate plus. Overall, I like the place, but couldn't really spend a good deal of time studying there.

6. Vibe-This is a little-known place around 70th & Pioneers. Free internet, decent coffee. The major drawback is that it is pretty uncomfortable to sit there for long periods of time.

5. Wilderness Perk-This is a tiny little place way in south Lincoln. Very nice. Free internet, big tables, but only o.k. coffee. Also, I've been there for hours at a time all by myself which is a bit akward. Overall, good place to study, but not my favorite.

4. The Coffee House (downtown)-One of the oldest coffeeshops in town and comes in at a decent #4. I don't particularly like their coffee, so that is a pretty big drawback. The atmosphere is decent, but it is oftentimes just so frieking busy, it's tough to get stuff done. Only average IMO.

3. The Mill (48th & Prescott)-You simply can not beat the coffee of The Mill. Not only is it good for Lincoln, but some of the best I have ever tasted anywhere. Good place to study as well. The only real drawback is that is gets hotter than holy hell in there due to a lack of quality A/C. Lets get that fixed!!!!

2. Meadowlark-This is a new place that just opened in May at 17th & South. Excellent coffee (and fair trade as well), HUGE tables, free internet that always works, and really nice people working there all the time. Also, the fact that it is right next door to Open Harvest (dried fruit #1!!!) is a MAJOR plus. Really nothing wrong with this place at all. It's also open until midnight which is damn awesome!

1. The Mill (Haymarket)-This place has it all. The reason why it stands above the rest, however, is the atmosphere. I literally could sit there for 5 or 6 hours no problem.

I know I didn't include every place around town, so feel free to chime in if you want.

MP

8 Comments:

At 11/04/2005 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine:

10. "Country" place just north of 66th & Holdrege
9. Meadowlark
8. Steamers
7. Crescent Moon
6. The Mill in C. View
5. Mo Java
4. Caffe Italia
3. The Coffee House
2. Sultana's
1. The Mill

 
At 11/05/2005 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a long way from Lincoln coffee houses, but I'm about to start helping with the coffee harvest around here, so maybe some of my work will end up in your cups. These rankings have gone on long enough without mention of the Highway Dinner. There's no specialty coffees or flavors or soy milk, but it's a $1 bottomless cup. As someone who's gone 16 straight hours on that $1, that's nothing to shake a stick at come finals week. And you want to talk ambiance? Yeah, there's no wireless internet. I don't think there's wireless phone. Actually they don't have a phone, but they have carpet. And singing grandma's, knitting at 4:00 AM, in Santa hats, in May. Ambiance.

Nick Woodward
San Marcos, Nicaragua

 
At 11/05/2005 6:09 PM, Blogger justaddlipgloss said...

#10) Coffee Connection
#9) The Java Room on Folsom
#8) The Blend
#7) Scooters
#6) Lincoln Espresso
#5) Starbucks at Barnes & Noble
#4) Meadowlark
#3) Mo Java
#2) The Coffee House
#1) the Mill

 
At 11/05/2005 6:10 PM, Blogger justaddlipgloss said...

Is Gloria Jean's at the mall closed?

 
At 11/06/2005 8:44 PM, Blogger Awesome Inc. said...

I believe Gloria Jeans in the mall is closed now. Personally, I'm not too upset about that though.

Thanks for all the responses. I really haven't been to every place in town, and there are actually a few on here that I've never even heard of (i.e. Sultana's). I inexcusably forgot about Mo Java given that it's the closest one to where I go to school and I've been there no less than 20 times. Oh, well.

Keep up the good work in Nick, Nick!!!! Also, you didn't even mention the smoking bus!

MP

 
At 11/16/2005 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were the Hi-Way Diner a coffee shop, I would have included it on my list.

Post-smoking ban Sultana's is now a private club: Jamal from Palestine offers Arab coffees, teas, sweets and the greatest gifts the Turks ever gave to the world -- the hookah. Also known as the argile, narjila, sheesha or hubbly-bubbly, the hookah is the progenitor of the bong. In the Middle East (and Sultana's, 1st & Cornhusker), people smoke a tobacco mixed with fruit flavored molasses. Stop by Sultana'a, pay $1 to be a member and try a double apple hookah and Turkish coffee with cardamom.

 
At 11/23/2005 7:30 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I like CoHo on the Mall, it's the Coffee House's to-go location at 1111 Lincoln Mall (just east of the City/County building at 10th and K streets). And they have Free Trade coffee at both locations.

I would also like to plug the great live music at Crescent Moon. I support any business that supports local artists.

Thanks for the list, I need to check out the Meadowlark. For atmosphere, I also like Mo Java in University Place.

So many options!

 
At 11/25/2007 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wilderness Perk coffee sucks. I am friends with an employee and they let their coffee sit out just until it is gone (so some can sit out all day) and their espresso drinks are so spastic I'm afraid to even purchase anything. Depending on who is working it can be excellent or crappy.

She also says that the beans are usually stale and sit in a plastic container--not air-tight--for months until they are gone.

I have gone in their to study and had the same experience. I don't know how they stay open. The place is deserted.

The only redeeming factor is that their muffins are excellent. They bake about half of their baked goods in back thanks to the talents of their own baker/barista (AudLizzy... look it up!). Other than that--I'd rather go to Starbucks than here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home