Friday, January 06, 2006

NCAA Old Man Reivewers Suck


Instant replay kicks ass, that's a simple fact. Nothing sucks worse than losing a game because a referee missed a tough call. So now we have a system in the NCAA where a couple guys up in a booth get to look at every play and decide whether to stop the action on the field and review the call. Sounds great doesn't it? A foolproof system, right? WRONG. Too often the replay officials choose the wrong plays to review. Plays that are obviously called correctly on the field are reviewed, plays that clearly are called incorrectly on the field are missed. I don't know about you, but I can tell what the call of the play should have been after two replays 95% of the time. So you figure looking at two replays takes ten seconds, maybe the officials on the field are just spotting the ball and there would be plenty of time for the booth to stop the next play. Nope, too many plays are missed. Why? because old guys suck at technology. It is a fact of life. Proof of this can be found at any airport. Put any guy over 45 at one of those computerized check-in stand at the airline's counter and watch confusion reign. They are just getting their transaction times at the ATM under 10 minutes and don't even try to get them to do anything on the computer by themselves. So why would we think that they would be able to watch a moniter and page an official on the field? There wasn't even replay when these guys were born!!!!!! Here are my suggestions for improving NCAA College Football Instant Replay:

-No more guys over 40 in the replay box.
-Have something other than a stupid pager to stop the refs on the field. I recommend somthing like this. Nobody would snap the ball if a sweet foghorn would be blowing.
-Be faster, this could be all about getting rid of the old guys, but it really only takes one or two looks to know what the call should be.
-Stop having crappy refs on the field. I've seen good reffing before and I saw a lot of bad reffing this year (I'm looking at you Steve Usechek!).

Or you could just put me in charge of the whole thing. I would take care of business.

JT For some reason I think this is really funny. Maybe it's because the kid turned some girl's occupation on MySpace from student to slut. Or maybe because he is using Dr. Phil's voice and I don't realize it until about half-way through. Whatever the case it is certainly pure gold.

Thanks to BBL for inspiration on this post.

1 Comments:

At 1/07/2006 12:41 AM, Blogger Awesome Inc. said...

Holy shit that video is funny. I can't even imagine what I would do if I had a mom like that.

MP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home