Monday, April 24, 2006

Come on Nebraska!


I'm not a political man, I have strong opinions, but I'm not that guy marching around the Federal Building in Lincoln with stuff written on my t-shirt. This most recent development is just bordering on ridiculous though. President Bush's approval ratings just hit another all-time low. There are four states in the union that approve of the job he's doing and Nebraska is one of them. Guess what other bastions of enlightenment are with us on this one....Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming.

-Utah: I don't think they allow dancing yet.
-Idaho: I don't know anything about Idaho, so I'm just going to straight up stereotype them, "Hey Idaho! Stop eating baked potatoes while watching Napoleon Dynamite and Vandals football and read a damn newspaper!
-Wyoming: I really don't think anyone lives in Wyoming. Can anyone prove me wrong? Dick Cheney lived there, but I think he was the last one to move out. Anyone who does live there is probably just hanging out in the wilderness, too busy to stay on top of the news.

The good news is that Nebraska had the smallest margin between 'approve' and 'disapprove' of the four Bush states. Nebraska is 51% approve to 45% disapprove, that leaves 4% who just haven't made up their mind yet. This is what I want to know from the 51%: I know there's a lot of Republicans here, and that's cool with me. I'm all for small government, balancing the budget and staying out of people's business. The thing is, President Bush is not for these things. Have you checked out our national debt lately? I know many Bush supporters are old and (God forbid) might not be around when the time comes to pay the bills, but (God willing) I might be, and just know that I'm going to be pissed of at you. Other things on the Bush agenda:

-Social Security: That went over like a lead balloon.

-Health Care: Maybe we should have listened to Hilary back in the 90s, this is just out of control now.

-Immigration: That's really moving along nicely.

-Iraq War: OH MY GOD THIS IS TERRIBLE

-Osama Bin Laden: Yeah, remember this guy? It seems to me that in a "post-9/11 world" we might want to catch the guy who caused 9/11.

-Iran: We aren't slowing their nuke program any.

-Same minimun wage as about 40 years ago. $5.15 an hour is an absolute joke.

On the other hand he has some notable accomplishments:

-Record profits for oil companies.

-Having a crazy person as Secretary of Defense for record number of years.

-Having Dick Cheney take Senator Palpatine lessons.

-Having delightfully out of control daughters.

-Not doing any crack.

Alright Nebraska, there's my case. I'd like to hear what you think. Give me some positives from this administration. No gay marriage? Is that it? Is that what all this is about? Now I thought you guys were for staying out of Americans' bedrooms. Let's not flip-flop here. If we went to a crazy war, didn't find the terrorists, have terrible health care and have $3.00 gas because you 51% think the world will end if boys kiss, once again I'm going to be pissed off.

JT

2 Comments:

At 4/25/2006 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful piece of writing. Your argument seems simple to you and I, but that's because we get our news from where we do. The "other side" doesn't talk about these things in the same way. Controlling the argument is pretty much winning the battle.

N

 
At 6/05/2006 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had my attention there, until you mentioned something about listening to Hillary.

As Jon Stewart said, "That is the face where boners go to die."

-rydogg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home