Sunday, December 11, 2005

Great and Terrible ad campaigns


Like it or not, we all see about a trillion ads a day in these times. From Sportscenter segments having a sponsor to the sides of buses we are engulfed in advertising. Now I think it is out of hand, but at least some advertisers go to lengths to be funny or clever. Now I'm sure I'll be leaving out many, but here are some of the current advertising campaigns that are good and bad.

The Good

Miller Lite- Miller has been doling out the good stuff for at least a couple of years now. It started with the refs throwing penalties at beers with less taste and has evolved into the current court room ads. Oh, no they didn't! I still hate the taste of beer, but will condone the hilarity. Props to the new Bud Light commercial with the guy staying two minutes late on a Friday, too.

Sonic- The two guys bantering about trash talk and flaming mushrooms are funny. Mostly b/c I could see myself talking about stupid stuff like this. The Seinfeld of commercials perhaps.

Sportscenter ads- They aren't coming as frequently as they used to but when they do, they are still really funny. From Evander Holyfield tossing the Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket to give Steiner his whoopin' to Scott Van Pelt using a performance enhancing thesaurus (unhand me, rapscallion!) these ads rarely disappoint.

The brand new Nike Lebron campaign- I just started seeing these tonight, but these look mighty promising. When Lebron is dressed up as a senior citizen and recalling his high school championship game, you can't go wrong.

The new Snickers ads- Particularly the one where the guy is bald and uses a bunch of snickers to hide it. Doesn't make much sense, but it's funny.

Of course I'll throw in BBL's favorite commercial of all time- the Nextel "push it" commercial. Also, I think it's Nextel or Sprint with the two guys arguing about a BLT and whether bread is implied in the initials.

Here is that awesome commercial for those who haven't seen it:


(Just click stop after the commercial's done. I haven't figured out how to stop it from continuing on with the playlist.)
BBL

The bad

Anything by McDonalds- They try to be hip and cool and fail miserably. You're not fooling anyone, McDonalds. Everyone knows that you are cheap, relatively bad food that a trillion people are going to eat everyday. Worst of the worst- the McGriddles rap. Sweet Griddlecakes!

Any and all SUV commercials. Okay, we get it. You'r big and tough shit b/c you drive around in the middle of nowhere and get 12 mpg while doing it. First of all, 98% of people who buy SUVs don't do that stuff and yet 98% of the ads feature that lifestyle.

The Coors light campaign- The Coldest tasting beer? Cold isn't a taste. Probably created by a CU alum.

I'm sure there are a ton more, but I just thought of these off the top of my head, so feel free to contribute your likes and dislikes in the advertising world.

J.H. Naners

5 Comments:

At 12/11/2005 11:14 PM, Blogger Awesome Inc. said...

You're right Joe, whenever that Nextel commercial comes on, everyone just stops talking and watches it. I'm also a fan of the new Bud Light commercials where the guy's a daredevil, he goes and listens to his girlfriend. Also an honorable mention to the Husker hoops (nice game today boys) ads this summer.

And who can forget those IBM commercials, what the fuck is a help desk? Why do you have blue bars on the screen? My campaign against you is far from over IBM.

 
At 12/12/2005 5:06 PM, Blogger Awesome Inc. said...

Way to protect my anonymity, J.T. God, now how am I going to explain all the girls crawling over me to the old lady?

There aren't that many Joe's in Lincoln, and I'm pretty sure with my wit and wisdom they'll take the time to seek me out.

 
At 12/12/2005 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you really stand out. No one else loves Nextel ads and hates McDonalds commercials.

 
At 12/14/2005 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Nextel commercial is freaking awesome...possibly the best ever. Hear hear BBL!

Great post J.H. I agree with it entirely. Except for LeBron commercials...nothing that stand out.

 
At 1/13/2006 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God I love that "Push it" Nextel Ad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home